We are a coalition of Baltimore women from all over the city, uniting together to be a force of engagement, action, solutions, and hope in the city and across the state. Our diversity of experience, race, age, background, and perspective gives us our strength, and our voice.
We aim to:
Have events on the 8th of every month to mark the anniversary of the election and to demonstrate that we must continue to stay active and engaged.
Provide an entry to events and actions sponsored by other groups and non-profits around the City and State.
Work towards being an organized force for the 2018 election.
Ready to get involved?
Become a Member
Code of Conduct
This code of conduct applies to all events organized by Baltimore Women United (BWU) as well as online spaces run by BWU. Some events may have additions to this policy. BWU is dedicated to providing a constructive, inclusive, and welcoming space at our events. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants or unwelcome behavior in any form. Event participants violating these rules may be expelled from the event or online space, removed from BWU membership, or otherwise sanctioned, without refund if relevant, at the discretion of the organizers or staff.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or other protected class status, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of BWU event staff or moderator of BWU online space immediately.BWU event staff will be happy to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist so that those experiencing harassment can feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
GROUP POSTING & COMMENTING POLICY
There are many Facebook groups that have been created in response to the Trump Administration. BWU members have overwhelmingly agreed that the BWU Facebook space should be used primarily for sharing action steps, events, and starting discussions - not for sharing articles about the Administration.
With that in mind, please try to approach conversations in good faith - not everyone has the same familiarity with concepts, theories, news, government processes, etc. (and that's ok). If something isn't clear, ask for clarification (but by the same token, don't expect someone to do your homework for you).
BWU welcomes comments, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with posted content, but because BWU aims to create a safe space for people to have robust and engaging discussions and occasional debates, there are a few House Rules:
1) Please refrain from over-posting, including posting several posts within a short timespan - a post a day is ok, but due to the size of the group, over-posting can drown out posts from others and we'd like to give everyone a chance at sharing. Please check to see if what you'd like to share has already been posted within the last 48-72 hours; repeat/double posts of already-shared material will be deleted to avoid cluttering up the feed as well.
2) BWU reserves the right to moderate all comment threads and posted content as the group moderators see fit. Mods may or may not give warning before post deletion or banning from the group if your comments are in violation of House Rules.
· Please provide a brief description what you're linking to, especially if it's an image or video you're uploading directly.
· Please post Trigger Warnings (TW) or Content Notes (CN) with content where appropriate, and please post a content note for any visuals using flashing lights or strobe effects. We also ask that when posting items, please indicate if they're not safe for work (NSFW) with a basic description (i.e. "NSFW Feminist Art”) and include only the URL, not the preview images. NSFW posts that contain preview images are subject to removal without notice. Please also be considerate in any NSFW comment threads.
3) Comments are more likely to be deleted if they constitute a personal attack or threat toward another commenter(s), are entirely unrelated to the original topic, constitute derailing or entail more than a fair use amount of someone else’s copyrighted work. BWU asks that commenters please refrain from telling other members how to feel about a given topic, i.e. “You’re taking this too seriously,” implying one is less of an activist/feminist because they aren't supportive enough, etc. Everyone has their own limits when it comes to their balance of activism and self-care.
4) Comments containing phobic content (based on race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, etc.) are absolutely not tolerated. Neither is obvious trollage. Or spam. Any posts pertaining to illegal activity - i.e., drugs, violence, etc., - are not allowed. All of the above will be deleted without warning.
5) If something looks dicey or weird and you're not sure it should be here, or you feel a thread needs mod attention, please PM a mod (if you are Facebook friends and you know your message won't go to the dreaded "Other" inbox) or TAG the mods with a simple "[Mod names] Post/Thread flagged for moderator attention" FIRST rather than responding to questionable content yourself or starting a thread discussing it separately. Your moderators here are volunteers so any notification via PM (or tag in a thread that needs attention) is very much appreciated, and gives us a chance to diffuse any potential situations.*
6) Please ask permission from people before tagging them in a photo that you post here, or simply allow people to tag themselves if they wish.
These policies apply to both the content and tone of comments/posts made in this group. Please keep in mind that even if you may not find a topic worth discussing, that shouldn't prevent others from talking about it - no one is obligated to join in every conversation or have an opinion on everything. If someone says they wish to leave a thread, please respect that and don't tag them to bring them back into the discussion. Repeat offenses against this code of conduct may result in group expulsion and banning, though if egregious enough, one may be enough.
*It should go without saying that the moderators will not be pleased with anyone abusing this particular guideline.
DISCLAIMER: Opinions and material posted in this group are strictly those of their authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion, position or official policies of BWU unless otherwise noted. Authors are solely responsible for the accuracy of any and all material posted.